New York State Security Guard Requirements
Obviously, there are requirements that every security guard must meet to receive an official security guard license and obtain employment. For instance, if you want to be an unarmed security guard, then you will need to:
- Be a citizen of the United States or a lawful resident, and at least 18 years of age
- Pass a background check by the FBI, with no felony convictions
- Allow yourself to be fingerprinted
- Receive certification by completing an 8-hour pre-assignment training program from an approved instructor
- Apply for your Security Guard Registration Card
- Obtain employment within 90 days of receiving that registration card, so that you can complete a 16-hour on-the job training course.
Of course, the requirements for becoming an armed security guard are greater. In addition to meeting the requirements for an unarmed guard, potential armed guards must also:
- Obtain a lawful pistol permit from the state of New York
- Complete a 47-hour firearms training course for armed security guards
Once a security guard license is obtained, it must be maintained with annual in-service training within 12 calendar months and each year thereafter.
Where Can You Get the Training You Need?
Because of the demands and expectations placed upon security guards in New York, the training requirements can only be met by competing courses that have been officially approved. Those approved courses are operated by qualified instructors who provide students with essential information on everything from the duties and responsibilities of the job to important concerns about ethics and standards for the profession. Instructors also provide vital firearms training for future armed security guards to ensure that they have the firearms proficiency they need to responsibly carry and use their pistols while employed in New York City.
Contact ISS to Get Started on Your Career Path
There are few occupations more rewarding than those that involve keeping others safe. And make no mistake: that’s what security guards do every day around New York City. They protect VIPs and others. They safeguard property, including hotels, places of worship, schools, and companies. They guard events and deter crime. At International Security Services, Inc. (ISS), we are proud to be an approved security guard training service provider and are always here to ensure that you get the instruction you need to further your career as a licensed security guard. Give us a call today to learn more about how we can help you meet your career goals.