Who Needs This 8 Hour Pre-Assignment Course?
This course is mandatory for all unarmed and armed security guards seeking licensing in New York. It is a one-day course that serves as the first step in the registration process to become a professional guard, and students are required to earn a 70% final test score to pass the class. Passing students receive a Certificate of Completion documenting their achievement. This certificate must be included with the student’s eventual application for a security guard license.
What Topics Does This Course Cover?
The pre-assignment course covers a range of topics designed to introduce future security guards to the roles and responsibilities of the job. Topics include:
- An overview of the security industry, the role played by security guards, and common duties
- Instruction about security guard powers and limitations under the law, and how they differ from official law enforcement personnel. Includes proper procedures for handling arrests
- Overview of emergency response for security guards
- Insight into how security guards should handle public relations and communications
- Overview of the proper procedures for managing access control
- Explanation of the security guard code of ethics
- Instruction on report-writing
- Final review of all class topics and a written exam. Students must receive a 70% or better score on the final exam to successfully complete the course and receive the course certificate.
Due to demand, students are encouraged to register for the pre-assignment training course in advance and show up before the designated start time.