Who Needs This 8 Hour Annual Security Course?
The annual in-service training is for all licensed security guards operating in New York City. That includes both unarmed security and armed security personnel. The course must be taken within the first twelve calendar months after a student has completed his or her 16 hour on-the-job training course, and every year afterwards to maintain a valid security guard license. Students who complete the course receive the certificate of completion needed to recertify as a security guard or maintain their current licensing.
What Topics Does This Course Cover?
This mandatory course is designed to provide students with updated information about all relevant security guard standards and procedures to help them remain current on any changes related to their duties and responsibilities. Topics covered include:
- The role of a security guard and job duties
- Legal standards defining a security guard’s powers, as well as legal limitations
- Proper response in emergency situations
- Public relations protocols and communication strategies
- Ethics and security guard code of conduct
- Access control best practices
- Other critical information related to the job of security guard
Students must attend all eight hours of the course to complete the training and receive their certificate.
Like doctors, nurses, lawyers, and other professionals, security guards are required to receive ongoing training to ensure that they have access to the most updated information about standards and practices. Laws change, security concerns continually evolve, and today’s security guards need to stay abreast of it all to do their jobs effectively.