Who Needs This NYC Security Guard License Training?
The 16 hour security guard training course is mandatory for both unarmed and armed security guards. To qualify for the course, students must have already successfully completed their 8 hour pre-assignment training course. Armed guards must have also completed the 47 hour firearms training course before they can take this on-the-job training. In addition, students must first secure employment as a security guard, since the course is focused on training for a real-world work environment.
What Topics Does This Course Cover?
The course covers many of the same topics explored in the 8 hour pre-assessment course but does so using a hands-on approach. As a result, it goes beyond the theoretical approach of the classroom and helps student learn to apply that knowledge in a practical, real-world environment. Topics covered include:
- The security guard’s role and responsibilities
- Private security’s legal powers and limitations on that power
- Standards for response in emergency situations
- Standards for access control
- Proper public relations and communications procedures and techniques
- Security guard ethics and code of conduct
- Incident command systems
- Report-writing and incident documentation
- Review of coursework and exam. Students are required to pass the examination with a score of at least 70% to obtain required certification.
Security guard training in New York City is intense, but necessary to ensure that every licensed guard has the knowledge and expertise needed to properly safeguard lives and property. Still, it can be challenging to know who to turn to when you need competent and effective training to prepare you for your new career in the security guard industry.